This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Find out more.

EPC Ratings Guide

Epc Certificate

All commercial properties must have an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC). These certificates are valid for ten years and provide an insight into a property’s energy-efficiency.

In this guide, we’ll provide you with everything you need to know about EPC ratings. We'll provide insight into how you can help you improve your property’s energy efficiency.

What are EPC ratings and how are they graded?

EPC ratings grade properties on their efficiency on a scale of A (highly efficient) to G (inefficient). It is similar to the way in which energy labels rate appliances’ efficiency. These certificates recommend ways of retrofitting your building in order to increase its efficiency.

An EPC rating provides you with the following information about a property:

  • Energy efficiency rating
  • Estimated fuel costs, energy use and carbon dioxide emissions
  • The environmental impact of the carbon dioxide emissions
  • An outline of the property’s energy performance related features
  • Recommendations of measures that could increase efficiency, as well as their potential costs and savings.

EPC rating bands

Your property’s EPC rating will be measured from its Standard Assessment Procedure (SAP) score; this is graded out of 1-100. Here is an outline of the grade bands [2]:

SAP Points

EPC rating

92 - 100

A (most efficient)

81 - 91


69 - 80


55 - 68


39 - 54


21 - 38


1 - 20

G (least efficient)

Why are EPC ratings important?

EPC ratings are important because they provide figures on how much a property costs to run. This is useful for potential buyers and tenants. This will help them make comparisons and informed decisions about their new home. If you are looking to sell or rent a property, you should aim to get your EPC rating as high as possible. This will help to attract potential buyers and tenants.

The Government made changes to the Minimum Energy Efficiency Standards (MEES) in 2018. New regulations stated that all the private rented properties must have a minimum EPC rating of E. If you are a landlord with a property that fails to meet this requirement, you could be fined up to £4000 [1].

How can I increase my property’s EPC rating?

A summary of the ways you could increase your property’s EPC rating is included in the certificate. Here are some useful tips:


Getting your property insulated helps to prevent heat loss.  and can reduce the amount of energy used by your home heating. Find out more by visiting our home insulation guide.

Efficient appliances

Adding high-efficiency appliances to your property can help to lower your energy usage. Find out more by reading our appliance efficiency guide.

Efficient lighting

By switching to more efficient lightbulbs such as LEDs (Light-Emitting Diodes) you could bring down your energy usage. Visit our guide on efficient home lighting for more information.

Smart devices

Installing smart devices and thermostats into your property can help you monitor your energy usage. This allows you to make improvements where necessary. Take a look at our smart meters and devices to find out more.

How can I get an EPC rating for my property?

Your energy performance review must be conducted by an accredited domestic energy assessor. Visit the Landmark website to find approved EPC businesses in England and Wales. You will need to visit the Landmark for Northern Ireland website if your property is in Northern Ireland. EPCs cost between £60 - £120 [3].  You can get the review conducted through your letting agent.

Properties eligible for exemptions

Not all properties need to have an Energy Performance Certificate. Such buildings include [4]:

  • Places of worship
  • Temporary buildings that are set to be in use for less than two years
  • Buildings that are due to be demolished
  • Residential buildings used for less than four years
  • Buildings that are stand-alone with useful floor space of less than 50 square metres.
  • Industrial sites, workshops and non-residential agricultural buildings that don’t use a lot of energy
  • Accommodation for holidays rented out for fewer than 4 months a year. Or if they are let under a licence to occupy.
  • Listed buildings. You should seek advice from your local authority conservation officer.

You can find property EPC ratings on the PEC register's retrieval page.

If you are also looking to lower your energy bills, you should consider switching energy suppliers. The most efficient property could still face high energy bills if it is on the wrong energy tariff. Our free comparison tool could help you find an energy deal that is best suited to your needs. Alternatively, visit our energy guides for more advice on energy saving.






Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest