SSE Reviews, Prices & Tariffs
Scotland-headquartered SSE is one of UK’s largest energy suppliers. In 2020, it sold off its domestic retail customers to Ovo Energy. Following the acquisition, tariffs, billing, and prices remain the same and domestic customers can still purchase energy from SSE.
As one of the UK’s leading energy suppliers for both domestic and business customers, SSE offers:
- Online Account Management
- Flexible Tariffs
- Smart Meters
- Pre-sale tickets to big events with SSE reward
Business Energy Customers
- Smart metering
- Renewable energy options
- Efficiency plans
With over 54,000 reviews on Trustpilot, they have an excellent rating of 3.8 out of a possible 5 stars.
SSE prices and tariffs
SSE offer a variety of tariffs for both domestic and business customers.
However, the supplier was in the process of refreshing its energy packages when we checked in on their website in July 2023, so no firm prices were available.
SSE was previously one of the Big Six energy suppliers (along with British Gas, npower, ScottishPower, E.ON and EDF) until it was acquired by OVO Energy in 2019.
After the acquisition, around 3.5 million households saw their electricity and gas supply shifted from SSE to OVO. SSE had agreed to migrate all its domestic customers over to its new parent company, though business energy would still be supplied by SSE themselves.
Since SSE and its associated brands are now trading names of OVO Energy, its registered business address is now as follows:
When you switch to SSE through Love Energy Savings, one of our representatives will contact SSE directly to manage the entire switch for you.
SSE Energy is a multi-award-winning energy provider. Here are some of its latest notable wins:
- uSwitch Best Customer Service – Large Supplier 2021
- uSwitch Best Meter Reading Services – Large Supplier 2021
- uSwitch Best Smart Meter Experience – Large Supplier 2021
- uSwitch Best Online Experience – Large Supplier 2020
- uSwitch Best Customer Services – Large Supplier 2020
- uSwitch Best Smart Meter Experience – Large Supplier 2020
- uSwitch Best Billing Services – Large Supplier 2020
- uSwitch Best Meter Reading Services – Large Supplier 2020
Cancellation policies vary by tariff types. Some of SSE’s fixed tariffs include exit fees that you’ll need to pay before you can cancel the contract and switch to another supplier. The most popular of SSE’s tariffs that includes an exit fee is its ‘Fix and Control’ 2-year fixed-rate tariff.
SSE’s fuel mix for the period between April 2021 to March 2022 was predominantly made up of natural gas — 07.1% vs the UK average of 38.5%.
While it’s made good progress on its inclusion of renewable energy, it still falls short of the 38.7% UK average at 29.9%
You can learn more about the typical fuel mix you can expect from UK suppliers in our wholesale energy guide.
Understanding your SSE bill
Your online or paper bill from SSE will tell you:
- Your unique customer account number
- Your name and billing address
- The billing period of the invoice
- Service account number and invoice number
- Supply address
- Breakdown of charges being applied for the period and how they’ve been calculated
- The number of invoices that are being totalled on your account balance
- Total including any outstanding balance from previous bills